Please follow the steps below to manually rig hands and get your Unity hand assets up and running.
This process takes approximately 1 hour to complete, including roughly 20-30 minutes per hand to copy the components to the new hand.
- Import an existing Leap Motion hand (such as lopolyhand) into Maya
- Bind your new mesh to the armature
- Export this as an fbx file
- Import it to Unity
- Open a new scene in Unity
- Add the original Leap Motion hand and the new exported hand
- Copy every component from the original leap hand to the new leap hand (see images below for reference)
Important note: If you add the components from the drop-down menu, instead of copying, then the hand may not work correctly.
- Update the references for each component
- Update the entire joint list
- Assign the new hand to the leap model manager and test!
If anyone wishes to write a script that automates part of this process we would encourage you to do so and contribute your script to our Unity Modules on GitHub here
We also made a short video which was posted on our forums that gives a quick overview of this process and what you need to do.